News & Events
The Benefits of Connecting Youths and Seniors
Published on Wednesday December 2 2020
The more time young and old people spend together, the more both parties benefit.
Children have a warm and infectious energy, which can help to bring so much joy to the elderly.
In fact, research shows that connecting youths with seniors can help to boost confidence, increase communication and improve memory.
Children also benefit from intergenerational relationships. Some may not have grandparents of their own; however spending time with the elderly amongst the community offers many advantages.
Seniors can share their wisdom and help children to develop many of their academic skills. Furthermore, seniors are often very patient and make great listeners. They can give a child their full attention, which any parent or teacher knows isn’t always easy to do!
Other benefits of connecting youths and seniors include:
- An opportunity for both young and old to learn new skills
- An occasion where both seniors and youths can feel motivated and inspired
- A way to share family history and knowledge about the past
- An opportunity for the elderly to learn about modern technology
- An opportunity for seniors to exercise both physically and mentally
- A sense of purpose for both parties
- A chance to dismiss any negative opinions or fears of the elderly
- A way for children to learn how to care for the elderly
- A new routine which can help to reduce loneliness and depression in the elderly
- A chance for children who do not have grandparents to enjoy the benefits
How can you get involved?
A great place to start is by connecting schools and care homes within your local community. Think of some simple ways in which they can communicate even if they are unable to visit due to social distancing measures.
Christmas is an ideal time to reach out to the elderly. Perhaps you could encourage your children to make their own Christmas cards and send them to your local care home? This would be a lovely way to brighten someone’s spirits and make them feel less lonely or forgotten.
Creating relationships within the local community will bring many benefits to all involved, and building connections between young and old is sure to bring many happy memories.
Keep up to date with our latest News & Events